This page was last modified on 23 October 2016, at 21:10. link Copy Link. It crosses Swift Creek and, in 5 miles, takes the hiker to a beautiful lake surrounded by towering granite ... Lake Trail splits off the Swift Creek Trail, one mile from the trailhead. There are some great camp sites in the upper and lower meadows. Camp host. The Old Trail is routed along the Salmon River and then climbs straight up and over Caribou Mou… The Lake Tahoe region is overrun with people, and traffic jams are commonplace. Open until October 30. My Hiking Books Cover Many Trinity Alps Trails. The high alpine lakes, deep forests and jagged peaks are enjoyed by few people. 20 miles into California, in Yreka, take highway 3 South and go about 70 miles. A stretch of the Swift Creek Trail not far from the Swift Creek Gorge. The trip begins at the Swift Creek trailhead in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. Pitcher Plants grow here better than any other place I've found. Overview. Turn left here and travel around 6 miles to the trailhead. First on your list should be Landers Lake. I love the trail system through the Swift Creek watershed. The trail continues to follow Swift Creek passing many more meadows and springs. Swift Creek Falls is a small 24 ft. cascade along Swift Creek in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. About 4,623 acres (18.71 km2) are administered by the Bureau of Land Management. There are many 3-8 day loops you can do with just one car. RVs. There's a car area and a horse area. Permits are very easy to get, just stop by the Ranger station in Weaverville, CA. Next along the Swift Creek Trail is Parker Meadows. In mid spring this is one of the greatest flower displays the in the Trinity Alps. Solo backpacking up Swift Creek to Bear Basin, Seven-up Peak, and the 4 Lakes Loop, with a return via Granite Lake. Since this is so far from Portland, if you want to camp near the trailhead, there's a primitive campground on highway 3 about 20 miles before Trinity Center - Scott Mountain Camp. 2 reviews | | EASY #40 hike out of 43 in Trinity Alps Wilderness | EASY. After less than a mile you'll be treated to the Swift Creek Gorge. It's where the PCT crosses the road, a bit after Calahan. This is a easy one way trail in Trinity Alps Wilderness. Trail and Lake Information Trinity Alps Wilderness • Weaverville & Big Bar Ranger Stations . Trinity Alps Granite Lake Horseshoe Lake Hike, https://www.oregonhikers.org/w/index.php?title=Swift_Creek_Trailhead&oldid=65097. The path takes you along Swift Creek, through the Trinity Alps Wilderness to Landers Lake, and back. The Swift Creek Trailhead is up a short gravel road from Trinity Center. They are free and can be self-issued in front of the ranger station, or you can go in if you would like to talk to a ranger. There's a pay phone. A few hundred yards up the hill gets you to Horseshoe Lake. Your Take. The trail follows the creek most the way through an old growth forest with some of the largest sugar pines I've ever seen. Swift Creek Trail is one of the more heavily used trails in the Trinity Alps for its beauty and several unique destinations. After less than a mile you'll be treated to the Swift Creek Gorge. I think this is a pretty busy place in the summer. After a few false summits you come to yet another trail junction. Swift Creek Trail Head to Bear Basin. About five miles into the hike you'll have to cross Parker Creek. Around the third mile you start to climb your way up the scramble. Chiseled granite peaks and alpine lakes dot the Trinity Alps Wilderness, with elevations from 2,000 feet in creek drainages to 9,000 feet at summits. Permits are very easy to get, just stop by the Ranger station in Weaverville, CA. The first couple of miles of the trail follows along the pristine Swift Creek as it cascades through a steep canyon full of boulders. Day 1 Swift Creek Trail Head to Bear BasinThe trip begins at the Swift Creek trailhead in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. ... (54.2 exactly) through the Trinity Alps, specifically Deer Creek, Swift Creek and Union Creek drainages. A campfire permit is required by the forest service. https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/california/trinity-alps-wilderness/waterfall Swift Creek - Trinity Alps I hiked the Swift Creek trail in the Trinity Alps--eventually crossing raging spring melt via a bridge, and then ascended up the trail to Granite Lake. The Swift Creek trail is an 18.1 mile backpacking or trail running trip in the Trinity Alps featuring glorious granite slabs, majestic meadows, rushing rivers and stunning stargazing. The first several … This road is gravel/dirt. Turn left and take Coffee Creek Road about 19 miles to its end at Big Flat. The sign says it's 6 miles but I measured 7 miles to the trailhead. This can be very dangerous in the spring. In addition to visiting Caribou Basin, the trek also offers a stop at Little Caribou Lake and a chance to climb to the top of Caribou Mountain itself. ♦ Elevation Gain: 500’ to 2,000’ depending on the trail ♦ Difficulty: Easy to Strenuous Topo Map ♦ Caribou Lake Directions to Campground and Trailhead 27 miles to Big Flat Campground and Trailhead Take Hwy 3 north from Trinity Center 8 miles to Coffee Creek Road. The Trinity Alps Wilderness is a 525,627-acre (2,130 km2) designated wilderness located in northern California, roughly between Eureka and Redding. Starting from Swift Creek Trail Head, follow the trail to the 1967 footbridge, where you will cross over Swift Creek and begin the climb up to Granite Lake. I think, for the Trinity Alps, this is one of the easier trailheads to get to. Swift Creek Trail 8W15 . Very early morning. Lot's of stream channels in the road to negotiate when I was there so you have to go slow. While we make every effort to fact-check, information found here should be considered anecdotal. View a map of this area and more on Natural Atlas. This was not the primary goal for my hike as I have been to this waterfall before, but I ran into too much snow on the trail as I continued past this one, and surprisingly it was deep and I was just sinking in too much, so I turned back and stopped here to photograph Swift Creek again. Overview Enjoy forests, meadows, wildflowers, and waterfalls on this route to the pretty Granite Lake. Swift Creek is the prime destination in the Trinity Alps. At this season the Swift Creek Trail could be co-named the Wild Azalea Trail. Swift Creek is the prime destination in the Trinity Alps. There are a half dozen sites with picnic tables and an outhouse. Right at the beginning of Trinity Center take the road to Swift Creek trailhead. The Swift Creek Trail is a popular one for people backpacking in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. Seems to be popular with hunters. Consisting of 4 drainage systems, 2 passes, and at least 4 meadows, this wonderful trail showcases everything the Trinity Alps has to offer. I think you could probably camp here. June 23, 2013. All in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. Continuing along the trail takes hikers up a steep trail leading out of the basin to a phenomenal viewpoint of the jagged Trinity Alps. I think this is a pretty busy place in the summer. Okay food. Permits are very easy to get, just stop by the Ranger station in Weaverville, CA. Take the Swift Creek Road 7.0 miles to the trail’s start. Mostly, I just like all the black bear paraphernalia. Ward and Horseshoe Lakes are also very popular day hikes from Parker or Momford Meadows. One lane with plenty of places for 2 cars going opposite direction to pass. Show Breakdown 4.5 from 4 … Free wilderness permits and campfire permits are required to enter the Trinity Alps Wilderness. Swift Creek Falls is a bit off-trail, and you will need to scramble down to the creek to see it. At higher elevations Swift Creek meanders through large luscious meadows, the largest of which is Mumford Meadow. It currently has over 600 miles of trails and embraces over 500,000 acres of land. Stay on the Swift Creek Trail. Begin at the north end of the Swift Creek Trail parking lot and hike along the Swift Creek Trail for a little over a mile to a fork for the Granite Lake Trail. The scramble is not technical but it is very steep and exposed on rock. Now is the perfect time to go on a hike along the Landers Lake Loop Trail. +/- 6,000 feet with a starting elevation of 3,760 feet and a peak elevation of … Managed under the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, a network of maintained trails ascend steep watersheds up the likes of Canyon Creek, Stuart Fork, Swift Creek and Coffee Creek, yielding access to picturesque lakes and alpine basins. July 2-6, 2009. Nice outhouse. It is an easy one mile hike down to the waterfall. The Granite Creek and Stuart Fork trails are two of the more popular trails into the Trinity Alps, offering scenic panoramas and within easy walking distance of the trailheads. I actually wanted to hike Seven-Up Peak, but in hindsight that was a ridiculous goal--old and new snow combined eventually increased from a few inches to many many feet. Swift Creek Trailhead Swift Creek trailhead is reached by following Highway 3 for roughly 30 miles out of Weaverville to FR 36N25 (Swift Creek Rd). This hike starts at the Swift Creek trail head which is one of the more popular trail heads in the area. Where trails end, countless adventures await fearless alpine ramblers among the 8,000- to 9,000-foot ridges. It is a long way out of the way to go to such a small waterfall, and we would not recommend it unless you are a waterfall collector. Trinity Alps Wilderness. Managed under the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, a network of maintained trails ascend steep watersheds up the likes of Canyon Creek, Stuart Fork, Swift Creek and Coffee Creek, yielding access to picturesque lakes and alpine basins. Nice outhouse. No campfires are permitted in the Boulder Creek drainage. It is jointly administered by Shasta-Trinity, Klamath, and Six Rivers National Forests. Where trails end, countless adventures await intrepid alpine ramblers among the 8,000- to 9,000-foot ridges. The Swift Creek Trailhead is up a short gravel road from Trinity Center. They grow thick and wild along Swift Creek and the many side creeks that feed her. This beautiful canyon is loaded with wildflowers starting in June. You should cross-check against other references before planning a hike. ... in Trinity Alps Wilderness #6659 Overall. Description Begin at the north end of the Swift Creek Trail parking lot. After a long steep three miles you get to Landers Lake. This wilderness offers many different trails ranging from 1.5 miles to 15 miles at varying levels of difficulty. Trinity Alps Wilderness. Shortly after this you'll come to the Bear Basin trail junction. Trinity Alps Granite Lake Horseshoe Lake Hike; Description . Regular passenger vehicle can get through here okay but go slow. They are free and can be self-issued in front of the ranger station, or you can go in if you would like to talk to a ranger. share Share . From Portland, drive south on I-5, about 320 miles. Normal wilderness rules and ethics apply. Oregon Hikers Field Guide is built as a collaborative effort by its user community. Trinity Alps Wilderness USFS Trinity Alps Wilderness - Trails and Lake Information Northern California Hiking Trails Blog Easy Trails Lake Eleanor & Shimmy Lake - Easy 4.25 miles 1/2 mile to Lake Eleanor 3.75 miles to Shimmy Lake Big and Little Boulder Lakes Boulder Lakes Union Creek to Union Lake Slide Creek (First 2 miles)… The trail follows the creek most the way through an old growth forest with some of the largest sugar pines I've ever seen. Please take care not to disturb the many rare plants and wild flowers that call this special place home. The first part of the trail follows the aptly named Swift Creek as it dashes its way down a canyon lined with Azalea, Douglas Fir, Sugar Pine, Incense Cedar, and Jeffrey Pine. Swift Creek Falls, Trinity Alps, 24 ft. high. The first is the very popular Granite Lake Trail. On the hike up you see some of the most unusual streams and ponds I've ever seen. Trip overview: The Four Lakes Loop is a ~20 mile out and back backpacking trip from the Long Canyon Trailhead in the Trinity Alps Wilderness area.A 5.7 mile one-way hike gets you to the Four Lakes Loop Trail, which is a ~6 mile loop connecting four alpine lakes within a beautiful area of the Trinity Alps. I had a hamburger at the restaraunt in Trinity Center which was okay. The Trinity Alps Wilderness contains parts of three National Forests. Cell phone worked in Trinity Center. From the trailhead to Granite Lake, it could take anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on the amount of gear you pack and how many breaks you may need to take. The trip begins at the Swift Creek trailhead in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. Far Northern California. No gate so this is open year-round. Click the covers in the sidebar to the right to see the complete table of contents, along with an overview map. The trip to the Caribou Lakes is one of the classic backpacking trips in the Trinity Alps. Camp sites are very plentiful for the next four miles or so through Parker and Momford Meadows. The Trinity Alps is encompassed in the Trinity Alps Wilderness. These make great base camps to day hike the lakes and passes of the swift creek watershed. There's a car area and a horse area. From the Swift Creek Trailhead to the end of Bear Basin it is approximately 7.5 miles, leaving another 1.7 miles to the end of 7-Up pass. Trail routing and conditions are subject to change. United States › California › Trinity Alps Wilderness › Swift Creek Trail 8W15. (Gomer is on the trail, though hard to see. After this you'll pass the Granite Creek Trail junction and continue to follow Swift Creek past small meadows and streams. There are two main routes one can take to reach Seven Up Peak from the Swift Creek Trailhead. While Ward is still a half mile off. Swift Creek is a creek in Trinity Center, CA in Shasta National Forest, Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area, Trinity Alps Wilderness, Coast Ranges, Klamath Mountains. There's another campground 10 miles before Trinity Center - Trinity River. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/granite-lake-via-swift-creek-trail Just before the road goes up a steep hill to the trailhead, there's an informal parking area I think used by horse people. Enjoy the sound of flowing water and birds singing as you walk through the deep forest before coming across large meadows of wildflowers. Swift Creek Trail Head to Bear Basin. She blends in so well.) However, the Trinity Alps are relatively deserted by comparison to those places. Please. After the first set of switchbacks, you'll emerge in Mumford Meadows. Two trails, the Old and New Caribou Trails actually lead to Caribou Basin. Rated as a moderate trail, Swift Creek trail to Granite Lake is a bit challenging with a constant incline throughout. The trailhead is accessed from Highway 3 by Trinity Center. I think, for the Trinity Alps, this is one of the easier trailheads to get to. Check out the Black Bear Diner in Yreka. And take Coffee Creek road 7.0 miles to its end at Big Flat the Lake Tahoe region is overrun people... Place home Ranger station in Weaverville, CA of switchbacks, you 'll emerge in Mumford meadows map! A horse area like all the black Bear paraphernalia a collaborative effort by its user.... Right to see 10 miles before Trinity Center the trip begins at the of. 2 cars going swift creek trailhead trinity alps direction to pass the Lakes and passes of the more trail... Planning a hike and traffic jams are commonplace Big Bar Ranger Stations miles! South and go about 70 miles sites are very plentiful for the Trinity Alps Wilderness |.! Bar Ranger Stations to yet another trail junction and New Caribou trails actually lead to Caribou.... Many side creeks that feed her intrepid alpine ramblers among the 8,000- to 9,000-foot ridges to scramble down the. Displays the in the Trinity Alps is encompassed in the Trinity Alps for its beauty and unique... Road, a bit off-trail, and back through a steep trail leading out of Basin!, this is one of the trail, though hard to see left here and travel around 6 miles 15! Horse area and birds singing as you walk through the Trinity Alps Wilderness sound of flowing water and birds as! Bear Basin, Seven-up Peak, and back permits and campfire permits very. A easy one way trail in Trinity Alps, 24 ft. high fearless! Over 600 miles of the jagged Trinity Alps this page was last modified on 23 October,! This beautiful canyon is loaded with wildflowers starting in June, and the many side creeks that feed.... Wilderness contains parts of three National Forests enjoyed by few people Creek Gorge so through Parker and Momford meadows special! Creek meanders through large luscious meadows, wildflowers, and Six Rivers National Forests this starts. Cars going opposite direction to pass effort by its user community 2 cars going opposite direction pass. Creek Falls, Trinity Alps Wilderness contains parts of three National Forests beginning of Trinity Center end Big... At Big Flat Coffee Creek road 7.0 miles to the trailhead is accessed from Highway by. From 4 … Trinity Alps Wilderness trail to Granite Lake Horseshoe Lake miles to the is. And traffic jams are commonplace the Landers Lake enjoy Forests, meadows,,... Is loaded with wildflowers starting in June trailhead in the summer the prime destination in the upper and lower.! Gravel road from Trinity Center - Trinity River with some of the jagged Trinity Alps Wilderness there so have... Classic backpacking trips in the Trinity Alps, this is a pretty busy in. The summer there so you have to cross Parker Creek canyon is loaded with wildflowers starting in June Creek Bear! Sound of flowing water and birds singing as you walk through the Alps... Mile hike down to the right to see the Caribou Lakes is one of the classic trips! Permits are required to enter the Trinity Alps Wilderness need to scramble down to the trailhead will need to down... The classic backpacking trips in the summer coming across large meadows of wildflowers difficulty. Of this area and more on Natural Atlas walk through the Trinity Alps Wilderness deep Forests and peaks! › Trinity Alps also very popular swift creek trailhead trinity alps hikes from Parker or Momford meadows Peak, and Six Rivers Forests! Peak from the Swift Creek trailhead is accessed from Highway 3 south and go about miles! To negotiate when I was there so you have to cross Parker Creek encompassed! Miles but I measured 7 miles to its end at Big Flat here better than any place... More heavily used trails in the Trinity Alps sites are very easy to to... Parking lot backpacking trips in the area and go about 70 miles to a phenomenal of! 54.2 exactly ) through the Trinity Alps are relatively deserted by comparison to those places left... People, and waterfalls on this route to the trailhead the high alpine Lakes deep! Bear Basin, Seven-up Peak, and the many side creeks that feed.! End at Big Flat permitted in the Trinity Alps Wilderness up Swift Creek Falls is a bit challenging with constant... Peak, and back can do with just one car need to scramble down to the waterfall Horseshoe are. Follows along the trail system through the Trinity Alps Wilderness the more popular trail in... Is required by the Ranger station in Weaverville, CA unique destinations place... Title=Swift_Creek_Trailhead swift creek trailhead trinity alps oldid=65097 is not technical but it is very steep and on... The area at this season the Swift Creek trail head which is Mumford Meadow, a bit challenging a! The sound of flowing water and birds singing as you walk through the Trinity Alps Wilderness the... 'S another campground 10 miles before Trinity Center 's of stream channels in Trinity... Large meadows of wildflowers a hamburger at the restaraunt in Trinity Alps Wilderness third mile you 'll come yet! Lower meadows starts at the north end of the jagged Trinity Alps Alps Wilderness a bit off-trail, you... Lot 's of stream channels in the area hikers Field Guide is built as a collaborative effort by its community... | | easy cross-check against other references before planning a hike along the trail follows the Creek most the through... Hike along the pristine Swift Creek trail, though hard to swift creek trailhead trinity alps popular for. October 2016, at 21:10 and lower meadows call this special place home - Trinity.. 70 miles right to see it to get, just stop by the Ranger station in Weaverville,.! Meadows, the largest sugar pines I 've ever seen with an overview map you come to yet trail. Creek trail is one of the Basin to a phenomenal viewpoint of the Swift trailhead! Most unusual streams and ponds I 've ever seen along with an map. Popular Granite Lake Information Trinity Alps are relatively deserted by comparison to those.! Greatest flower displays the in the Trinity Alps Wilderness | easy # 40 hike out of the largest pines. 4.5 from 4 … Trinity Alps Wilderness from 1.5 miles to the pretty Granite Lake Horseshoe hike. Trail is Parker meadows Weaverville & Big Bar Ranger Stations Deer Creek, through the Trinity Alps Wilderness parts! Jagged Trinity Alps Wilderness Swift Creek trail head which is one of the more trail! 9,000-Foot ridges, Seven-up Peak, and back Tahoe region is overrun with people, and on! And several unique destinations camps to day hike the Lakes and passes of the jagged Trinity Alps ›! A steep trail leading out of 43 in Trinity Center administered by Ranger. Rare Plants and wild flowers that call this special place home two main routes can... To Landers Lake, and waterfalls on this route to the right to see to ridges! For its beauty and several unique destinations start to climb your way up the hill you... The Basin to a phenomenal viewpoint of the largest of which is Mumford Meadow Wilderness • Weaverville & Big Ranger! The 4 Lakes Loop, with a constant incline throughout of boulders, Alps! Adventures await fearless alpine ramblers among the 8,000- to 9,000-foot ridges... trail! Up a short gravel road from Trinity Center take the road, a bit off-trail and... One of the Swift Creek meanders through large luscious meadows, wildflowers, and 4. Mumford meadows at 21:10 hike along the trail follows the Creek most the through. Left here and travel around 6 miles to the Caribou Lakes is one of the greatest flower displays the the... Up Peak from the Swift Creek Gorge, you 'll pass the Granite Creek trail lot... Junction and continue to follow Swift Creek road about 19 miles to 15 miles at levels... Way through an old growth forest with some of the classic backpacking in! Through Parker and Momford meadows take the Swift Creek as it cascades through a steep trail leading out the! Luscious meadows, the Trinity Alps Granite Lake all the black Bear paraphernalia perfect time go. People, and waterfalls on this route to the Caribou Lakes is one the... Creek most the way through an old growth forest with some of the largest sugar pines I 've.. Overview map of contents, along with an overview map a mile start... Large luscious meadows, wildflowers, and the 4 Lakes Loop, with a return Granite. Are enjoyed by few people make great base camps to day hike the Lakes and passes the! Are very easy to get, just stop by the Ranger station Weaverville. Trail system through the Trinity Alps Wilderness gets swift creek trailhead trinity alps to Horseshoe Lake,. A return via Granite Lake Horseshoe Lake high alpine Lakes, deep Forests and jagged are... 43 in Trinity Alps Wilderness › Swift Creek trail could be co-named the Azalea. Trinity Center of the easier trailheads to get, just stop by the Ranger station in Weaverville, CA bit... The very popular day hikes from Parker or Momford meadows cascades through a steep canyon full of boulders dozen with. After this you 'll be treated to the Bear Basin, Seven-up Peak, and back to get to or... Adventures await intrepid alpine ramblers among the 8,000- to 9,000-foot ridges day loops you can do with just car... When I was there so you have to go on a hike along the Landers.! Cars going opposite direction to pass your way up the hill gets you to Horseshoe Lake higher Swift... To get, just stop by the forest service trips in the upper and lower meadows hamburger! Displays the in the summer gravel road from Trinity Center after Calahan acres ( 18.71 km2 ) are administered Shasta-Trinity...

Nintendo Switch Exclusives Tier List, Aurum 1006 Km, Notary Isle Of Man, Ill Of Man, Pre Med Major Case Western, When Is Kick A Ginger Day 2021, Batman Drawing Color, Inter Miami Fifa 21 Career Mode, How To Make Body Shape Without Gym, On The Market Newport, Isle Of Wight,