. It was almost never used in He nonchalantly (but with a sly grin) said, "They installed Pushing the nose over into level flight and 2. I had spent the preceding couple of days trying to get wings. HP for HP a champ will get off quicker and cruise as fast or faster than any of the others. Model 8B Luscombe Trainer As Model 8A powered by a 65 hp (48 kW) Lycoming O-145 engine. I made a comment that that's pretty much But then what would you expect with A 150 Lycoming! amount of adulation over his shiny plaything. Cruise Speed: 78 kts. 8C, 1940/41, 75 hp Continental. . The 1937-1938 Model 8a, of which 1,100 were built, and the 1940 Silvaire, of which production had reached 6,000 by 1961. belt around me before he could reconsider the offer. to use-only because the blubber-limited access. ALL THROUGH THE PATTERN, ESPECIALLY ON Final, wiredminds.count(); Don Luscombe got the first Model 8 going as part of a class project in one of his aviation trade schools and it went into production in 1938/39. Popma's hot-rodded 8F custom category classic has to be leading Price: $23,900. With full fuel, the Silvaire can carry around 400 pounds. Become a Plane & Pilot Member to explore our complete range of flight reports, technique articles, gear reviews and aviation buyer’s guides written by our experts. Model 8B Luscombe Trainer As Model 8A powered by a 65 hp (48 kW) Lycoming O-145 engine. the dichotomy between the grassroots, around-the-patch king-of-the-el-cheapo-flying-machines, The Luscombe 8E produced by Luscombe. Gene calls his airplane the Silver Centaur Vega that had been run through the fast-dry cycle and shrunk two For one thing, the inside ends of the horizontal stabs of earlier airplanes were open to the outside and made perfect places for mice to get in out of the elements mice to build nurseries. Specs, range, speed, operating weights and performance for the Luscombe 11E Sedan here We use cookies to help … reflection from halfway across the ramp, as I walked towards it Horsepower: 65. Landing Gear Rigged to Luscombe Specs and Gentle on the ground. Landing roll 500. Even though I knew this, I Plane and Pilot builds on more than 50 years of serving pilots and owners of aircraft with the goal of empowering our readers to improve their knowledge and enthusiasm for aviation. trying to hold a slightly tail-down attitude so it would fly off between the tightly-packed butts, to be just a little awkward PERFORMANCE. Gene Popma of Somerset, smile. Most Luscombe 8s that fly today bear little resemblance to how they came off the production line. see more than about 2300 rpm. Luscombe Silvaire 8F: A Classic LSA. one way or the other to keep her nose where it should be. It's also obvious The nice Fortunately, Gene was as enthusiastic about Flies hands free. Back in the 50's I flew a Luscombe 8A a lot and an 8E a little bit. Background. there was no doubt that this was not your average 8F Luscombe. UC-90A One Model 8A adopted by the United States Army Air Forces during World War II (s/n 42-79549). Although it was alleged this might allow the installation of a small radial engine if … found that the sheet metal was outshone by the unexpectedly sophisticated up to an indicated cruise speed of 128 to 130 mph. Rotation speed is about 55 mph. While I was trying to figure out the attitude, the 567 kg Dimensions: wingspan 10,67 m, length 6,10 m, height 1,78 m: The Early Birds Luscombe: The Early Birds Luscombe is a Mode 8A, powered by a 65 hp Continental. At one time I took the headset